I don’t know about you all, but I am SO excited for the start of a new year. I love starting out fresh and being faced with the prospect of a clean slate. As I said in my last blog, 2015 was a pretty up and down year for me, so I’m really excited to welcome Sweet Sixteen!
A resolution, by definition, is just too concrete for me. While I’m very task-oriented and a Type-A planner at heart, the thought of having to live up to such rigid “have-to’s” is just too, well…boring. So for the last several years, I’m tasked myself with setting goals for each calendar year. Some of them are difficult, some are fun, and some are just crazy pipe dreams that force me to get outside of my comfort zone and try something different. For today’s blog, I’m going to share sixteen of my 2016 goals (in no particular order)!
- Read 85 books. Last year, I set a goal to read a book per week and outdid myself by reading 78.
- Remodel the downstairs living room…it’s the last room of the house that needs new flooring.
- Hug “my people” as much as possible and let them know I love them every. single. day.
- Try a new hobby! I’m almost embarrassed to type this, but I kind of want to learn how to knit. I haven’t been able to find the kind of scarf I’ve wanted for a long time, so I think I’m just going to try to make one myself.
- Travel to at least three new-to-me places by the end of the year (first one is coming up next month!!!).
- Continue my (mostly digital) marketing education. Once I start something, I get really into it. I want to keep pushing myself to learn more, which is both a benefit to me and SDB’s customers!
- Tackle some new kitchen experiments, including creme brûlée, yeast breads, and Asian cuisine.
- Keep eating healthy and exercising! I love to cook and be active, so this one is easy. It’s important to me to stay healthy and stick with good habits.
- Spend less time on devices, especially when I’m with the people who matter…which is a bit difficult since my life basically revolves around social media these days 🙂
- Create “word of the month” all year to help me refocus and keep myself on track. January’s word is ORGANIZE!
- Keep learning a new language. I started teaching myself basic conversational French before the Man Friend and I went to Paris. I want to continue my education and expand may brain.
- Be present. I want to focus on the moments that matter and be very intentional with my time and energy. It’s really important to let go of the little stuff and focus on what’s important.
- Run a 5k by the end of the year now that my foot seems to be more cooperative!
- Try something that makes me uncomfortable. I’m not talking dangerous situations, but I want to get out of my comfort zone and push myself. Maybe snorkeling with sharks is in my future?
- Keep up with my gratitude journal. From big to small, it’s important to focus on the good parts of your life.
- Focus on my family, including the one I was born into, the one I married into, and the one I chose.
Sorry if I got a little new-agey for a moment, but the new year is always so hopeful and full of promise. I hope you have a fantastic 2016…mine is starting out great!