Love them or hate them, the Kardashian-Jenner clan is everywhere. They are all over social media, the “news,” and the rest of the Internet. However, most recent K-J news hasn’t been so great. Kendall Jenner’s recent Pepsi ad has gone viral in the worst way possible. One has to ask the question: can you erase bad PR?
How Do You Stand?
There is one thing this ad has shown: it’s possible for something to stretch so far that the Internet comes unglued. Regardless of your social or political leanings (or whether or not you watch reality TV), the masterminds behind this campaign can be, at best, accused of being tone-deaf. Let’s be real here. A beverage is not going to bridge canyons to fix people’s issues.
The backlash was bad enough that Pepsi pulled the ad and issued a statement.
“Pepsi was trying to project a global message of unity, peace and understanding. Clearly, we missed the mark and apologize. We did not intend to make light of any serious issue. We are pulling the content and halting any further rollout.”
However, is it possible to undo a PR hiccup?
Steps To Take To “Erase” Bad PR
While it’s impossible to completely eliminate public relations issues, it’s important to take steps to conduct damage control.
- Listen Carefully – Though the first instinct is to react and speak, it’s more important to listen to what people are saying.
- Don’t Get On The Defensive – While you may, in fact be right, it’s also important to understand where others are coming from in their discord.
- Be Cautious Of The Internet – Especially social media. Some people use the world wide web for massive broadcasts. It’s a powerful weapon. Wield it cautiously.
- Formulate Your Response Carefully – The key in dealing with the public is to not lose more customers. It’s important to be direct, compassionate, and honest about your comments.
- Pick Your Battles – There’s an old saying about choosing which hill to die on. Effectively, it’s important to know when to stand down and when to go all in.
- Don’t Point The Finger – The easiest thing to do is blame someone else. However, we don’t recommend this as the first response.
- See The Silver Lining – Mistakes happen. Even really bad public ones. Regardless, it’s important to identify the opportunities in any situation and figure out how you can grow and learn as a company.
SDB Can Help With PR Nightmares
As a business owner, you know that sometimes, mistakes happen. It’s important to have a professional company with experience in reputation management in your corner. If you want to preventatively make sure you’ve got people looking out for you, we’d love to talk with you.