Every week, we’re breaking down the 5 Key Strategies for a Successful Oil Show.
This week, we discuss ‘Staff Training.’ Read on for 18 Training tips as you plan for this year’s Oil Show…or for any trade show or expo.
Training Your Staff Tips
- Practice, practice, practice.
- Brief your team on common trade show espionage practices and how to defend against them.
- Give each booth staffer a specific role, with job expectations clearly spelled out.
- Stress the value of friendly greetings, polite manners, and appropriate body language.
- Take the time to familiarize your team with the lead collection technology you’ll be using before the trade show.
- Make sure at least some of the people going to the show are prepared to answer technical questions.
- Establish a dress code for your staffers: They’ll look more professional and act as better ambassadors for your company.
- Practice asking qualifying questions with your booth staffers.
- Product demonstrations are a great way to draw a crowd: Make sure your team knows how to give an effective, engaging presentation by having them practice before the trade show.
- If you are sponsoring entertainment, a speaker, or other event, make sure your team knows what to do during this time.
- Designate a ‘go-to’ person to act as a liaison with trade show management. The better your relationship with management is, the better your show experience will be.
- Read the exhibitor’s service manual it. It’s full of valuable information to help ensure a stress-free show.
- Establish a follow up protocol for hot leads, promising prospects, and likely customers. Use this protocol to turn leads into sales.
- Decide on your main message: make it a single, short sentence that’s memorable.
- Before the show, visit your booth as an attendee would.
- Arm your staffers with answers to common objections.
- Learn to more quickly disengage with unqualified attendees.
- Hold a contest to reward the staffers who take the highest quantity of qualified leads.
We hope those tips help when training your staff! Can we help you with this year’s Oil Show or any upcoming trade show or expo? Give us a call at 432.218.6736 or check out our website at www.sdbcreativegroup.com.